Global approach through multiple investment cycles
ESG integrated into every stage of our investment process
Alignment of Interests
Financial commitment from BTG Pactual & strong team performance incentives
On-the-ground management in multiple geographies
provides insight and creates opportunities
The BTG Pactual Timberland Investment Group ("TIG") leadership team has more than 800 combined years of investment, agribusiness and timberland management experience, and a strong commitment to sustainability. Having led timberland organizations for decades, the team has navigated multiple economic cycles.
TIG’s predecessor group was created in 1981 and was a pioneer in timberland investing when it started the first commingled timberland fund for institutional investors. Since then, TIG has grown to be one of the largest global timberland investment management organizations (“TIMO”), with over two million acres under management across four continents with nearly US$ 3.5 billion in assets and commitments.
BTG Pactual believes that the firm’s culture of meritocracy and innovation is an important competitive advantage that drives its strategic focus, internal collaboration, and its performance-based management.
TIG is one of the largest timberland managers globally (1):
- Nearly US$ 3.5 billion in assets and commitments(2)
- Over 2 million acres under management(2)
- Geographic diversity with assets throughout the U.S., Latin America, Eastern Europe and South Africa
- Executed more than 225 transactions since inception(3)
- Returned more than US$ 1.7 billion to investors since inception(3)
- Combined 800 years of investment, agribusiness and timberland management experience
TIG believes that it operates a differentiated platform due to its strong alignment of interests, reliance on a deep and experienced team, and its proven ability to operate within the global commercial timberland sector.
TIG’s investments are built around broad strategic insights, bottom-up research, hands-on investment management, and careful monitoring of portfolios based on a solid analytical framework. TIG’s continuous improvement methodology keeps the team focused on the investment solutions offered to clients. Product innovation is fostered with close communication between the client services, global investment and distribution teams. Innovative ideas are incubated in an environment that values research, knowledge, insight and productive debate.
Best-in-Class Sustainable Forest Practices
TIG is committed to investing in a sustainable manner and believes it can achieve compelling investment returns while applying high standards of environmental and social governance. TIG is keenly focused on sustainable forestry practices and maintaining productive, respectful relationships with the local communities, labor and tax practices in the regions in which it invests. TIG and its parent company, BTG Pactual, have operated under the UN Principles for Responsible Investment ("PRI") since 2015 and TIG’s properties have been third-party certified under Forest Stewardship Council® ("FSC"), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ ("PEFC") and American Tree Farm System®(4) ("ATFS") standards since 2003.
Sources: (1) RISI, 2016; (2) Numbers shown are as of March 31, 2018; (3) Since inception for distribution purposes is 1Q1990; (4) The American Tree Farm System® is a program of the American Forest Foundation
Quarterly Market Reports
TIG produces quarterly timberland market reports and conducts white paper studies and ongoing research initiatives for its clients and partners.
In The News
May 14, 2018
BTG Pactual Timberland Investment Group, Along With Preferred Equity Investor Consortium, Forms Joint Venture with CatchMark in the US$1.39 Billion Acquisition of 1.1 Million Acres of East Texas Timberlands
June 7, 2017
Consortium led by BTG Pactual’s Timberland Investment Group to buy Weyerhaeuser Uruguay for $402.5 million in cash
May 12, 2015
September 6, 2013
BTG Pactual expands its Timberland investment platform with completion of the acquisition of Regions Timberland Group
February 22, 2012
Responsible Investment & ESG
TIG is committed to responsible investment practices across all assets under its management. TIG carefully evaluates environmental and social governance attributes (“ESG”) before making any investment decision. As institutional investors, TIG believes it has a duty to act in the best long-term interests of our beneficiaries. We recognize that ESG issues can affect the performance of investment portfolios. TIG believes that application of the following nine principles, better aligns our investments with the broader goals of society.
TIG's Nine Responsible Investment Principles
- Strictly comply with all environmental, social, health and safety laws, regulations, and standards
- Foster environmental protection and enhance biodiversity conservation
- Respect and uphold human rights in all operations and contracts
- Develop supply chains and prioritize local hiring
- Strictly comply with anti-corruption and bribery regulations
- Establish an open dialogue with the communities where TIG manages timberlands
- Promote ESG awareness among employees by developing and providing specific training programs
- Report ESG performance with clarity and transparency
- Commit publicly to global initiatives that strengthen our values
TIG’s key performance indicators ("KPI’s") as they relate to sustainability are comprehensive and include:
- Confirmation of pre-acquisition environmental integrity
- Forest certification status
- Chemical & production inputs
- Forest productivity & soil health
- Protection of special sites & biodiversity
- Labor compliance
- Worker health & safety
- Ownership & local land rights
- Indigenous rights
- Community involvement & landowner outreach
- Corporate commitment & responsibility
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Tracking & resolution of environmental non-compliance
- Appropriate ESG resources
- Annual executive review
TIG is an active partner with the world’s leading environmental and sustainability organizations that specialize in forest certification.
1180 Peachtree Street NE Suite #1810
Atlanta, GA 30309
+1 (404) 551-4043
601 Lexington Ave -57th floor
New York, NY 10022
+1 (212) 441-3039
Av. Brg. Faria Lima, 3477
Itaim Bibi, São Paulo - SP, 04538-133, Brazil
+55 11 3383-3983